Company/Organization: Broad Institute of MIT and Harvard
Type: Full time
Location: Cambridge, MA
More Information: Research Assistant
Posted Date: 2/20/20
The Zhang Lab (zlab.bio) at the Broad Institute of MIT and Harvard is looking for a full-time Research Associate with an aptitude for learning to join our creative, diverse, and dynamic research team. The Zhang lab is broadly focused on discovering and developing new molecular biology tools, we are a unique multidisciplinary lab working to bridge fundamental biology and development of biotechnology to improve human health. Our lab is a fun, vibrant, fast-paced, results-driven, and collaborative environment.
Currently, we are working to develop novel modes of delivery for genetic therapies, such as CRISPR. In this position, you will work closely with another member of the team to drive a project forward. This role offers an excellent opportunity to directly participate in an exciting and fast-paced field of research, a number of our former RAs have gone on to top-tier graduate and medical schools. We are seeking someone with a knack for precise work, strong organizational and communication skills, outstanding work ethic, and curiosity about the natural world. Although previous molecular biology research experience is preferred, the ideal candidate will stand out not for what they have done but for what they are capable of accomplishing.
The Zhang lab is a member of the Broad Institute and the McGovern Institute at MIT, and a part of the greater Boston life-science community including MIT and Harvard. The mission of the Broad is to create comprehensive tools for biology and medicine, make them broadly available to the world and apply them to the understanding of human biology and the diagnosis, treatment, and cure of human diseases. To support the mission of the institute, we strive for a workplace culture that supports diversity, intellectual curiosity, flexibility, and integrity. Broad employees receive a generous benefits package (including a highly competitive salary, dental, vision and health insurance, retirement plan, and additional benefits) and a range of possibilities for career advancement. Details on our benefits package can be found here.
Characteristic Duties and Responsibilities:
- Carry out experiments and data analysis related to project and present results at regular project update meetings
- Basic molecular biology techniques, including nucleic acid purification, molecular cloning, DNA/RNA purification, PCR, and gel electrophoresis
- Participate in lab discussions, collaborate with others to move projects forward, and pitch in around the lab when needed
- Mammalian cell culture work
- Biochemical assays
- Protein purification
- Next-generation library preparation and data analysis (Illumina sequencing, RNA-seq, single-cell methods)
- Immunohistochemistry, western blotting, brain tissue harvest and fixation
- High-throughput CRISPR/Cas9 screening
- Tissue culture and maintenance of sensitive cell lines or primary cells
- Production, titration, and transduction of lentiviral vectors
- A bachelor’s degree in molecular/cellular biology, neurobiology, chemistry, or a related field
- A minimum 2-year commitment is required
The Broad Institute will not offer visa sponsorship for this opportunity.
Please send CVs/resumes to ZhangRecruiting@broadinstitute.org.