Ah, summer in Madison. After a snowy winter, there’s nothing quite like a bike ride around one of Madison’s beautiful lakes, a visit to the bustling Dane County Farmers’ Market, or a scoop of Babcock Hall ice cream on the Memorial Union Terrace.
This summer, 10 undergraduate chemistry majors will have the opportunity to experience a summer in Madison. As recipients of the Hilldale Undergraduate/Faculty Research Fellowship or the Holstrom Environmental Scholarship, each student will collaborate with a faculty advisor on an intensive summer research project.
The Hilldale and Holstrom Awards are granted based on the originality and intellectual promise of the student’s research proposal. This year’s chemistry recipients proposed research on topics ranging from the immune system and diabetes interventions to photocatalysis and nanotechnology.
Recipients majoring in chemistry were:
- Andrew Daniel, who will work with Professor Song Jin
- Rafal Dziedzic, who will work with Professor Song Jin
- Laura Linde, who will work with Christy Remucal, assistant professor of civil and environmental engineering
- Sarah Nordeen, who will work with Professor Tehshik Yoon
- Prashanth Prabakaran, who will work with Professor Eric Strieter
- Kevin Walters, who will work with Professor Ron Raines
- Si Wang, who will work with Professor Tom Record
- Tong Wang, who will work with Professor Sam Gellman
- Clara Ye, who will work with Elizabeth Cox, assistant professor of pediatrics
- Lucas Zarling, who will work with Professor Laura Kiessling