Original Research Proposal Examination (RP)
The examination will consist of a written proposal and an oral defense. The details about the exam are here: RP Requirements.
- Deadlines 2023-24
- Fall 2023: November 13, 2023, at 9AM is the deadline for 1-page summary; January 21, 2024 deadline for oral defense (signed warrant by January 22 at 12PM) .
- Spring 2024: January 29, 2024 at 9AM is the deadline for 1-page summary; May 10, 2024 deadline for oral defense (signed warrant by May 11 at 12PM).
- Submit the RP 1 Page Summary here
- Schedule the RP Oral Exam directly with your Mentoring Committee
- Reserve the room and inform your Committee
- Request a Warrant at least 3 weeks before your Oral Exam. You can check your Warrants status here
- Email the RP Evaluation Form to the committee for the Oral Exam.
- After the Oral Exam:
- If you need an RP Extension, please fill out this form and submit it here.
RP 1-Page Summary and Full Report Examples:
- RP 1-Page Summary – Example
- RP 1-Page Summary Template
- RP Full Report Example #1
- RP Full Report Example #2
- RP Full Report Example #3
Entrance to PhD Candidacy – Dissertator Status
Successful completion of the RP, along with the other program requirements (TBE, coursework) will complete the requirement for admission to candidacy, i.e., dissertator status.
Enrollment Credit Requirements
See the Registrar for deadlines related to course enrollment.
Dissertators (3 credits; fall and spring semesters; summer term)
- 3 credits research (Chem 990, section of your PI)
Non-dissertators (maximum 15 credits; minimum 8 credits; fall and spring semesters)
- Lecture Courses to satisfy the core and minor requirements or of general interest
- 1-12 credits research (Chem 990, section of your PI)
- 1 credit group meeting (Chem 980, section of your PI)
- 0 credits seminar (analytical – Chem 920; chembio – any; chem educ res – any; inorganic – Chem 900; materials – Chem 920; organic – Chem 940; physical – Chem 960)
Non-dissertators (2 credits; summer term)
- 2 credits research (Chem 990, section of your PI)