Human Resources

HR Contacts

Contact Pat Egan, Room 1128, 608-262-1487, for:

  • "Newly defined" staff recruiting and hiring
  • Performance management, promotions, changes in duties, and reclassifications

Contact Char Horsfall, Room 1120, 608-262-5927, for:

  • Faculty questions
  • Academic staff questions
  • Post-degree-completion employee (formerly employees in training) questions
  • Instructional and research staff (lecturer, research associate, scientist) recruiting and hiring
  • Campus resources (Employee Assistance Program, leave, benefits services)
  • University staff questions

Contact Marc Willadsen, Room 1124, 608-265-9227, for:

  • Student hourly employee questions (including recruiting, hiring, and timesheets)
  • Graduate student questions

Hiring Timelines

  • Academic Staff: 1-2 months
  • University Staff: 2 months
  • Post-degree-completion employees: 1 month
  • Student Hourly: 1-2 weeks

Hiring Timelines for Visas

  • J-1 (Research Associates and Research Interns): 2-4 months
  • H1-B (Academic Staff and Faculty): 4-6 months

Additional Resources

Employee Assistance Program
The Employee Assistance Office has a comprehensive range of resources to assist employees with personal or work-related difficulties that may seriously affect an employee's life.

Ombuds Office for Faculty and Staff
The Ombuds Program serves as an informal, impartial, confidential, and independent resource for faculty and staff at the University of Wisconsin-Madison. An ombuds will listen to your concerns, clarify procedures, discuss options, and, if requested and appropriate, serve as an intermediary in attempting to resolve disputes.

Department of Chemistry Parental Leave Policy
This policy, for graduate students and postdoctoral associates, is intended to ensure a safe environment and appropriate accomodations for expectant, new, and adoptive parents.

Office of Child Care and Family Resources
OCCFR serves as a gateway to family resources on campus and in Madison. Student parents are eligible to apply for child care financial assistance through the CCTAP program administered by OCCFR.

Division of Student Life Resources
The Division of Student life and the "Dean on Call" are available to help students, staff, and faculty members with issues concerning student safety and well-being.