Enrollment Inquiries

Visit the UW-Madison Guide and Course Search and Enroll for the most up-to-date information about courses. To learn more about 100-level chemistry courses specifically, consult Introductory Chemistry Courses. See Intermediate Chemistry Courses for advice on what chemistry course(s) to take after completing general chemistry.

Schedule of Chemistry Classes

Restricted Sections

If you received the error message "Requisites Not Met" while trying to enroll, but you think that you meet the prerequisites for the course, you might be attempting to enroll in a special section reserved for students in a First-Year Interest Group (FIG), Residential Hall, or a special honors section. Please check the notes and/or enrollment requirements for any restrictions.

Prerequisites for Fall Courses

If you are taking a summer course elsewhere (not at UW-Madison) that is a prerequisite for a chemistry course that you intend to take fall semester at Madison, you will not be able to enroll without special permission. To obtain that permission, you need to supply proof that you have enrolled in the equivalent prerequisite course. If the course is not equated in the Transfer Information System (TIS) or Transfer Equivalency Database (TED), you should also to provide your report from the UW Admisisions Course Equivalency Service (CES) that shows your course is equivalent to the prerequisite. Please send your request for permission, student ID number and proof of requisites to the Undergraduate Chemistry Office (undergrad@chem.wisc.edu).

We do not offer pre-permissions for CHEM 103 or CHEM 109. Math requisites for these courses need to be completed before enrollment will be permitted.

Once you have completed your summer course, please send an unofficial copy of your transcript, so that we can verify that you have met the prerequisite before the fall semester begins. You will still need to send an official copy of your transcript to UW Admissions so that your transfer credits can be posted on your record.

If you are enrolled for the prerequisite course during the summer term at UW-Madison, you will not need special permission to enroll in the fall course.


If a course section is full, students can join the online wait list for chemistry courses through their student center. Wait lists for the introductory (100 level) courses are not activated until the bulk of enrollment is complete and most sections are full, while wait lists for other chemistry courses are activated earlier.

Every effort is made to accommodate as many students as possible and wait lists are monitored continually up through the add deadline. However, being on the wait list does not guarantee a student a seat in the class. Students are strongly encouraged to look for ways to make an open section work with their schedules, before adding to the wait list for a full section. Wait listed students are notified via email if a seat becomes available. Students should check their email daily, even over breaks. In general, priority is given to students in the order they joined the wait list, but for some courses more senior students will have priority.

Policy for Late Transfers from Chem 109 to Chem 103

The Department of Chemistry allows late transfers from Chem 109 to Chem 103 after the normal add deadline at the end of the second week of classes. Late transfers require special permission and are contingent on space being available. Students wishing to make a late transfer should come to the Undergraduate Chemistry Office (Room 1328) for assistance during normal business hours (8:00 am to 4:15 pm, Monday through Friday). The Fall 2018 deadline for requesting a late swap from Lectures 1 or 2 of CHEM 109 (non-honors sections) is 4:00 pm on Thursday, September 27. CHEM 109 Honors students (Lecture 3) have until 4:00 pm on Friday, September 28. Please see our policy sheet for more information.

Still have questions?

If you need further assistance, or you still have enrollment or course access questons, please email undergrad@chem.wisc.edu.

Alternatively, you may submit an online request via the Chem Courses form, visit the Undergraduate Chemistry Office (Room 1328) during normal business hours (8:00 am to 4:15 pm, Monday through Friday), or call 608.263.2424.